I went back last night and finished my compost bin. As planned, the first job was nailing battens to reduce the gaps between planks and the earplugs were a boon.
However, on assembling the pieces I realised that the nails I had were not long enough to go through the piece of wood I had set aside to form the top brace. To cut the slots required to drop it over the other parts and reduce the depth of wood to nail through, I used a hand saw and chisel. I might have been able to use the electric saw again but the thickness might have been a problem and I wanted to prove that I am not a total wimp!
Everything fitted snugly (well, snugly enough for rough and ready outdoor DIY); I will try and get some pictures soon.