I’ve had my bike panniers for a few years now. I normally just use the left-hand one that sits near the kerb instead of by the traffic and so they are very visibly distinct; one soiled by use and road dirt and the other still clean and bright, mainly used as an extra clothes bag when we go on holiday.
The worn one has now worn through in a couple of spots and this morning I got round to sewing a patch on using some old leather offcuts. That’s not the easiest of jobs even with a proper, sharpened leather needle. However, I’ve got one of the two patches required in place and that will be enough for now. The test is to see how it holds up on the journey too and from work. Perhaps I’ll avoid overloading the patched pocket just in case my labours have been in vain!