A few weeks ago, Jane spotted a chrysalis wrapped in a couple of leaves on our myrtle (Myrtus communis) bush. She picked it off and kept it in a ventilated tub to see what it would turn out to be. The answer is, one of these:
It is a Herald (Scoliopteryx libatrix), apparently a common moth although I don’t remember seeing one before. I did a quick photo session before we released it back to a sheltered branch on the plant where it was found. Lighting was a challenge – I ended up using some tissue over the camera flash and I’ve also done some post processing with The GIMP (it wasn’t quite this vividly orange!) to bring out the detail. I am including it in my 52photos project.