I think I’m fairly up to date with scanning or photographing my paintings, which means I hadn’t got round to picking up a paintbrush for almost six months. Lots of drawing in the meanwhile but my painting has gone off the boil. Yesterday I managed to find my paints and brushes and a bit of paper and made a fresh start.
I was using watercolours – old paints that have been on my palette for even longer, well-dried but still re-wettable. I also used some old paper, which turned out to soak up water like blotting paper. That isn’t ideal for the medium but it took away any pressure to do well.
My inspiration for this one came from a sketch I did on Sunday (not yet scanned in). It is a little softer in real life but, since I needed to adjust the colour a bit, I pushed the contrast up a little bit too, which I think enhanced it.